Header

  About The School  

History of Sinking Fork Elementary School

 

History of Sinking Fork Elementary School

 

Early in 1921, Ben H. Cook, superintendent of Christian County schools, held a meeting in the Sinking Fork area to discuss the possibility of consolidating three schools. In the fall of that same year an attractive four room building had been constructed and two buses had been purchased to transport students.

 

Sinking Fork school held its first high school graduation in 1926. In 1939 a gymnasium was built and in 1941 a modern brick building was constructed around the gymnasium. In 1951 a new wing of classrooms was added and another wing in 1954. In 1959 students in the 10th, 11th and 12th grades were moved to the high school on Glass Avenue in Hopkinsville. Ninth grade students were moved to the high school in 1969. By 1991 all 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students were moved to middle schools in Hopkinsville.

 

Sinking Fork Elementary moved to a new building in the fall of 1998. Students in preschool through fifth grade attend.